Kokum or Kokam also called as Sol Kadi which will be used in summer season. I would love to have a sip of Kokum Appetizer in all season. I mean you can have this recipe as cold drink in summer season and you can make it hot and have it in winter and rainy season. It is my favorite appetizer.
Kokum will be available in every location, in case if you won’t get then you can purchase in market, it is easily available in every super markets. It is very useful for our digestion. After lunch or dinner you can have this drink as it is good for digestion. If you get any rashes from acidity then you can have this drink or apply on rashes it helps to cure from rashes and acidity. It is a best diabetic recipe as it helps to control diabetic. Try this in your kitchen and be healthy.
Ingredients of Diabetic recipes with Kokum Appetizer:
- Coconut – ½ cup (grated)
- Pepper – 8 to 10
- Sugar – 2 table spoon
- Kokum – 5 to 6 pieces
- Salt to taste
- For Seasoning:
- Ghee – ½ table spoon
- Mustard seeds – ½ table spoon
- Red chili – 1
- Hing or asafoetida – a pinch
You may like: Appam Recipe
Cooking Method of Diabetic recipes with Kokum Appetizer:
- Add the pepper corns to the coconut and grind.
- Extract coconut milk (how to make coconut milk⇓).
- Wash the Kokum and soak in the coconut milk for an hour.
- Squeeze the kokum and discard the skin.
- Add salt and sugar.
- Season it.
Variation: Kokum extract can also be added to buttermilk along with crushed green chilies and garlic.
It is good for health as it helps in digestion; helps to control diabetes have this drink at least once in 15 days. It is a good combination with white rice in lunch or dinner.
How to make Coconut milk:
This is the method to extract coconut milk. Use the quantity of coconut as mentioned in the recipe, and adjust the quantity of water accordingly.
- Take 1 cup of grated coconut add 1 cup of water let it stand for 10 to 12 minutes. Grind it in the grinder (do not make it fine). Remove and squeeze out the water and strain the water this is the first/thick milk.
- To make the second/thin milk add one more cup of water to the squeezed out coconut and repeat the procedure.
Heat the oil and then add mustard and cumin seeds. Once the mustard seeds start spluttering add the remaining ingredients. Add hing or asafetida, fresh curry leaves in the end if mentioned.
Note: While sleeping at night soak 6 to 8 pieces of kokum in a glass of water and while waking up in the morning add a pinch of salt, pinch of spice masala and have it. You can make simple kokum juice by adding salt and sugar only, or add coconut milk how I have explained in the above procedure. If you like spiciness then add chilies, pepper powder and this type of drink you can use it in your lunch or dinner with rice.